james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

We are a community group who keep being attacked by a local

Customer Question

We are a community group who keep being attacked by a local parish Councillor. Looking for pro bono legal help with regards ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sheffield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Made a complaint about the councillor to the City Council
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The first complaint against him was upheld and he was just told to re read the code of conduct for cllrs
Expert:  james bruce replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Although you say your group is being attacked by the parish councillor, is he actually saying things or writing this about the group that are untrue ? Or simply things the group does not like?

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

If the person is telling the truth when he says or writes anything then that is no libel.

If he is deliberately telling lies then yes.

You should complain again to the council about his actions and issue the person with a formal "cease and desist" letter. That demands they stop straight away what they are doing or face legal action. A good local solicitor can draft that letter for you.

I hope this helps answer the question.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (6Q4QZM6)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (M615725)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (V41VG16)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
a number of things that are untrue.
I didn't submit a grant application. Another director did and he had access to that.
The council didn't reject the grant application, they deferred it because cllr Ogle claimed there was only one director of the group.
There whete in fact 3 directors, one of which Susan Griffiths submitted the application
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We did submit a valid grant application.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also the value of the grant wasn't a 3rd of the total grant pot, another untrue statement of Cllr Ogle.

Then in this case, if he is spreading untrue claims, lodge your compliant to the council, and arrange for a cease and desist letter to be sent to the person, if they continue, and your group has the funds available you could consider a prosecution for libel.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The documented facts he refers to can be found on the website. They show that the grant was defered not rejected and that the council would consider the grant application at the next meeting, this never happened and we are still awaiting a response from the council.

That does not change the advice given, he appears to be giving half truths. The letter I advised should do th trick with a formal compliant to the council.