12826847

A security guard at a well-known supermarket told me that

Customer Question

A security guard at a well-known supermarket told me that when I was shopping there to keep an eye on me for no reason at all, possibly because of my disability or colour of my skin!
Can I sue for discrimination?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'll wait till you find a professional.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

What can I do for you>?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I was in a well-known supermarket and the security guard told me when I was leaving that a member of staff had told him to watch me like I was some criminal or a thief, despite nothing of the sort!
I have a disability and of ethnic origin, but they have plenty staff of colour, so I can only assume it's coz I'm disabled! I go there 3/4 times a week coz the food is fresh,
It's bad enough having a disability , but with this, it's caused me psychological anxiety and paranoia going in the supermarket.
Can I sue them for compensation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

No, I am sorry.

This is not discrimination. At the very highest point, it is just a mistaken belief that there was a reason to watch you. That is rather the point of security. However, I can understand why you would not want to shop there again and you should not. Plenty of other places to go that won't treat you like this.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

There isn't really any reason to belief it is either because you are disabled or of any ethnic origin. Not every complaint or criticism suffered arises from diversity.