SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

Is it legal for the police / CPS to view and delete your

Customer Question

Is it legal for the police / CPS to view and delete your CCTV without your knowledge / permission?
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 17 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.The police had the right to view your CCTV but deleting it is not a right they have, it is bizarre that they would delete it. If it was on tape, disc or USB they can take it away as evidence but normally this can be recovered at the end of the case.Have they explained why they deleted it?Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi thereThey detained my phone. I would not give them the code without speaking to a solicitor then we thought the matter was done and dusted.Now I have got the means to return access the cctv I see it has been deleted without my permission, either by the police or another party.Many thanks
In that case you ought to submit a complaint to the police and ask for reasons and on what basis they did so. That would be your starting point. Once that is responded to you'll be provided information of how to escalate if the matter goes unresolved.I do hope that gives you some next steps.
S
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. Could it have been someone on the same WiFi that that cameras are on? It was evidence that could decriminalise me / criminalise them.
It's unlikely to have been someone on the same WiFi however hacking is more an IT question than about the legality of it. I highly recommend a complaint to the police.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you. Do you know who I should address the complaint to? Would it be the Investigating Officer? And should I complain after the case has been finalised?
It should be to their complaints team.You can do so at the link below.
https://iopc-complaints.egressforms.com/