How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13955
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am suffering from PTSD following a major fire incident in.

Customer Question

Hello, I am suffering from PTSD following a major fire incident in. my building few weeks ago, caused by the negligence of the Managing Agent and the freeholder. I am enquiring about the possibility of compensation. Thanks, Biba
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, none
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: E14 9PW, London, Canary Wharf
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not at the moment
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue and your injuries. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a very serious psychological injury. You would definitely be entitled to compensation as a result of the agency's negligence. However we are an intern forum and not a law firm - you will need a law firm and you would be offered a "no win no fee" agreement. So there would be nothing to pay up front - if the law firm recovers compensation they would deduct up to 25% of damages. But you are fully protected from any adverse costs - it is the best option by far.
The law firm will need to obtain your medical records and they will instruct a medico-legal psychologist or psychiatrist to assess you for the purposes of the claim. The expert will confirm your diagnosis and prognosis (whether you will recover and if so, when) and recommendations for any treatment such as CBT therapy or other treatments. The law firm can obtain an interim payment for you from the agent's insurer assuming either liability is admitted early on or the insurer offers a "without prejudice" payment, i.e. a payment regardless of whether they admit liability or not, to help you financially.

How much you can expect to receive depends if your PTSD is mild, moderate or severe. And whether you will suffer any loss of earnings now or in future (or both). Whether your job prospects are affected, whether you need future treatment, etc. It is difficult to say how much without knowing the diagnosis and prognosis - certainly a few thousand pounds would be expected for a mild PTSD injury.
It is important you instruct a law firm sooner rather than later. The following would be able to help you :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks Jim. I will follow up with the recommended links above.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 19 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks.