Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I am a sole trader and have a question about a community

I am a sole trader and have a question about a community project I am managing.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Suffolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The community project I am working on is not a formal organisation, but an informal network which is an umbrella name for a collection of events and activities being delivered by multiple grass roots organisations, community groups and established arts organisations.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Please let me know what is your question relating to the project you are managing.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's should be in the above messages
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Suffolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assuredthat they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The community project I am working on is not a formal organisation, but an informal network which is an umbrella name for a collection of events and activities being delivered by multiple grass roots organisations, community groups and established arts organisations.

Unfortunately, it isn't. I note "The community project I am working on is not a formal organisation, but an informal network which is an umbrella name for a collection of events and activities being delivered by multiple grass roots organisations, community groups and established arts organisations." but I still fail to see your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My main concern is the impact on my professional reputation should one of the organisation falls into disrepute for any reason. There are no contracts in place between any parties and myself. I am being paid by a local museum and there is no contact between us either.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have professional indemnity insurance and a sole trader

I understand, thank you. It is a valid concern as you are not dealing here with a legal entity or another self employed individual. For obvious reasons you should insist on a written contract - maybe this could be entertained by the museum? Legally, it seems to me that you are dealing here with an unincorporated association and it is a tricky situation to be in as in case of any dispute - you have to sue each individual in their personal capacity.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks. Obviously, I don't want to consider suing anyone, as this is a community project. But equally I don't want to be open to legally and reputationally vulnerable. What wording should the contract include?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry for typos!

It depends on what you want to protect yourself from.

Standard terms would set out relevant parties under the contract, payment obligations, how it is going to be made, duration of the contract, exclusion of liability clause in your favour so that you are not liable for the other parties' action etc.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any follow up questions. I will be happy to help.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would it be possible to have clauses drafted which would protect me from reputational damage if other organisations associated with me fall into disrepute?

This would be part of our premium service which is payable. I have made an offer for you to consider.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How many revisions would this include?

Usually, it would include1 revision but if you have any additional reasonable comments I will address them.

Ok, thank you for accepting it.

I will send you a first draft by COP today to your email.

I may have to ask you additional questions - if that's the case I swill contact you on the number given here.

*I will

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Please have a look at the first draft. Feel free to comment on it and send it back via email so that we can produce a final draft soon! I am happy to arrange a call should you require (no need to request a call as you paid for the premium service already).

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for the contract, I have emailed you directly.
Pleasure. I confirm I have received your email. I will respond to it at some point today.