How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1046
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

My husband has recently died suddenly and we had not got

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My husband has recently died suddenly and we had not got round to doing a will
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: In Aylesbury, BuckinghamshireMy question is do I need a solicitor to deal with
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We have the death certificate and funeral is arranged and all accounts have been notified
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My worry is the balances on his loan account and credit cards that I have been assured I am not legally bound to settle if there are no funds but our house is in my husbands name - will they be looking at that to recover balances owed or will the house automatically transfer to me?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 9 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.I am terribly sorry for your loss.As he passed away without a will. His estate would be dealt with as intestate meaning it would all go to you.The estate would essentially deal with the debts and the remainder would be yours.So it is correct to say that debts are not inherited but the debt would be dealt with as part of the estate which includes the property so potentially the debtor can come after the property.You do not need a solicitor to deal with the estate but I given the debt to deal with a solicitor would be useful to protect yourself.Should you wish me to send the links to apply for the letter of administration that will allow you to deal with the estate I am happy to do so.I am happy to answer follow ups.Kind regards
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your response, if yiuciukd send me the link for letter of administration please
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 9 days ago.
Happy to help, the link is below.