james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Is it a legal requirement to wear a mask in a supermarket or

Customer Question

Is it a legal requirement to wear a mask in a supermarket or any retail store? What are the consequences of not wearing one legally?
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

It is a difficult situation when it comes to shops etc. Currently the rules say yes masks must still be worn.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

There are exemption to this for some people as you will see, however, as shops are private property they can refuse entry if you are not shielded. This is not discrimination as many think it is. A shop does not have to allow entry to anyone at any time, it is their choice to do so. The Shops can refuse entry to protect their own employees and other customers.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks James. Much appreciated.

Your very welcome