james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

We inadvertently posted a widely circulated picture of the

Customer Question

We inadvertently posted a widely circulated picture of the queen on our parish Facebook page. A firm called copyright.com issued an in the spot fine despite our immediate removal of the image and apology. The fine was in Danish Krona. I’d this the way fines are issued?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: it’s all by email with attached invoices in English and Danish
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no and I am in the Uk sorry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no except we did not profit from this we took it down immediately and this is the first time this has happened
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If anyone uses a copyright item without permission or paying for a licence to do so, then they are liable to face legal action.

The face your organisation did not profit form the use and took it down, does not excuse the fact that it was even for a few minutes used and published online without permission.

The company dealing with the matter can charge for that or take legal action to prosecute the use of the item.

If there were profits made then the penalty would be even higher.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.