Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

My dad had dementia and his bank has refused to give him a

Customer Question

My dad had dementia and his bank has refused to give him a new pin number as he has forgotten it. Can they legally do this. They said it a duty of care and will only allow him to go into the bank to withdraw money. His nearest branch is over 3miles away, he is 87 with dementia. Won't give him a new pin number but happy for him to travel to the branch. Surely this is more of a danger than giving him a new pin?
JA: Where is your father? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lancashire
JA: What steps has your father taken so far?
Customer: He has been going to the branch. He has asked them to give the pin number to my sister but they have said no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My sister deals with his care and his Drs and social services always contact my sister regarding anything to do with my dad.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 7 days ago.
Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.
Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for your patience, I am sorry to hear about it.

It is a bit odd, I must admit.  You should consider making a complaint to the bank and request that they accommodate your father’s request. If he has given a power of attorney to his sister / you, you can make that complaint on his behalf.

If they still refuse to resolve this, I suggest that you involve social services, and in any event, make a complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. You can do it here: How to complain (financial-ombudsman.org.uk)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help

My pleasure. Please keep me updated and come back with any other related questions. I will be happy to help. Good luck and many thanks for using our service!