ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I’m looking for advice as I’m being investigated into my

Customer Question

Hello. I’m looking for advice as I’m being investigated into my strategic framework application I made for my business when COVID hit
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Prestwick, Ayrshire, Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: this is the first step I’ve taken
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think I was advised wrongly and my ignorance has landed me in a sticky situation
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

You have not said what it is you are being investigated for. However, if it is that false information was submitted, this is in fact not a good position to be in. You have to be careful how you respond and it will not be ok to simply say you were advised wrongly as a defence.

You have not said much with respect to what exactly is the position you are in. I am open to exploring your options further with you if you would like for me to do so.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My accountant had said that I would be eligible for the strategic framework business fund as I had no income coming in when I had to close my dance school due to COVID. The only thing was I just had a verbal agreement with my landlord about subletting and in the application I had to have a written lease. My accountant said if I was able to create a lease and get my landlord to sign it and send it in then it should be sufficient. I had all the other information for application including bank statements with proof of paying my fee for the dance studio and my HMRC number etc. All the information I provided was true, the only thing was that my lease had been made recently so I had proof of subletting.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

What has been specifically said to you from the government which has now given you cause for concern?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have been sent this email from South Ayrshire Council who deals with the business grant
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Am I to understand that you do not know what the issue is that has arisen for consideration?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
that’s right
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 7 days ago.

Ok I understand. Instead of assuming the best option is to write back to the council confirming receipt of the letter. Advise that you are unable to make it on the day proposed and request a different date. Most importantly ask them to say specifically what is of concern so that you may properly prepare for the meeting. This will then allow you the opportunity to properly prepare and address the issue rather than assume what may be the problem with the application. I would not worry so much if the landlord is able to support your position that it was always orally agreed that the subletting was allowed and this had only just recently been reduced to writing. I dont know how the council would have become aware of this.