How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2714
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I have been summoned to court as my x partner is trying to

Customer Question

i have been summoned to court as my x partner is trying to take custody of my son
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: he has filled the papers there has been some issues with me but they have been resolved and are currently still being resolved but my son is in no danger never has been and i have raised him alone for 11 years his father has no where for him to sleep only a camo bed he doesnt provide and help towards clothing or school where or anything
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: northampton
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

I am sorry to here what your ex partner has done. If there has been application by him the court has no option but to issue the summons to you. So, the fact that the summons has been issued does not mean definitively that your son will be taken. In circumstances such as these therefore I recommend that you respond to any allegation that has been made by him. Stating specifically whether they are false. It is likely that when you go to court for the first time that the court will request for CAFCASS to come out and do an assessment of you and your son in relation to the allegations.

I would not worry too much if the allegations are false.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the allagations is that my son is in immidiate danger from me because of alcohol and drug abuse so to be taken, social services have currently placed him with my mum. i have stopped drinking and currently and seeking mental health help with my anixaty aswell and seeing a private therapist. I have contacted my gp to ask for a detox programme which he doesnt think i need because im not alcohol dependent and i have stopped drinking.i have never taken drugs and i have left and removed the partner that i was with so he is out of the situation now also.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
my most recent partner called my fathers son and said i was drunk and unable to collect him from school. this was as false claim but was obviously still a huge concern which is why i have left him and he is now living back in nottingham
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

The fact that you are doing something proactively with respect to the allegation would go to your credit. However these are serious allegations which may go against you if proven. However, it will be on you to demonstrate that you are currently working on the problem and you pose no risk to your son. As he is*****is likely to want to hear from him with respect to how he feels about you and continuing to reside with you.