12826847

I'd like to ask you about harrasment, please? G21 1LL, I

Customer Question

Hi I'd like to ask you about harrasment, please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: G21 1LL
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven't file the complaint with my boss or report the police yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: this guy and I work at the same place and we used to date before. I lent him the money £500 when we were dating and he told me that he will repay me. But after we broke up he refused to pay me back. When he harassed me amost 3 months ago, I didn't report the police because I though he would change but it turned out that he manipulated me. So now I want my money back. So what can I do. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

So you want to recover the money?

Does he have funds?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I want my money back
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He said he doesn't have the money now. He's in Gambia at the moment for his uncle's funeral. He will be back on Monday
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But I asked him to pay me back when we broke up on the phone the last time and he said he's not going to pay me back
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Obviously you can sue him at the Small Claims Court but if he doesn't have the money to pay then there is very little point. However, it is fairly cheap to sue so it would be worth doing as it may encourage him to find the money. It is the sort of sum that he would probably be able to lay hands upon if he wanted to avoid a County Court judgement

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

You can issue here

Www.moneyclaim.gov.uk but you need to warn him first in writing.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When he comes back he will start to work and earn some money. It just take time to pay me back if want to do so. But because he harassed me almost 3 months ago and at work too. My question us should I tell him that if he doesn't pay me back, I will file the complaint to the manager or report the police so that he will get scare and pay me back?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Not really.

That is blackmail for which you would be going to prison even on a first offence.

You can't make allegations against people because you have civil disputes with them.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But he really harassed me. Eventhough I don't want my money back
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I should have called the police and the manager that day but I didn't
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He made me feel distress, humiliated, disrespect and offended that day
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have a lot of eye witnesses that day
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

That doesn't mean you can use is to recover money. That is blackmail. There is no defence in saying the money is owed.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what would you suggest me to do?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If I sue him at small claim court, How much does it cost? and Do you I will win?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Usually 10% of the claim.

I can't say whether you will win obviously.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What do I have to win this case?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Satisfy the judge that you are owed the money. And indeed that it was paid. I can't say what his defence would be obviously.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm sorry, I don't understand
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

I can't immediately think of a way of making it any more simple; you have to satisfy a judge that he owes you the money.