How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4755
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Please, Uk, None, Over 2 years ago, I went through a

Customer Question

JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Over 2 years ago, I went through a divorce. During meditation, my wife wanted 65% of the equity on the house we owned. In the end, I agreed to getting 35%. However, this did leave me short to get able to buy a 3 bedroom property to house my children.To help me, my mother agreed to give me £60,000 to use towards the deposit of the house I currently live in. The agreement was that when she eventually died, thar my inheritance would be a lot less than my two sisters to compensate for this.However, my mum is now in a care home. Although nothing long term has been agreed yet, I am concerned that IF mum is ever means tested that Social Services will see this wasCacway of avoiding care costs. She didn't need care back then either.I would understand that IF she does end up needing long term care, that her house would need to be sold. I would also understand if her savings also have to pay towards her care.However, a friend of mine has told me they'll come after me for the money! I literally cannot sleep at night now because this has been on my mind. In fact, it's made me ill with worry. Please can I have some advice?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Cont'd)...I wouod just like some advice at this stage. No kong term decisions have been made ar this stage anyway. Mum seems to think she can go home. Although it is her decision, I know deep down that she is likely to need 24 hour care. She has been falling on a regular basis in the laatc12 months - and sometimes ends up on hospital as a result.
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

When a person goes into a care home and the costs are met by the local authority, then they can look at the assets of the person to help cover the costs.

If the person has given away large amounts of assets, it is possible that they can be treated as a deprivation of funds and can be sought by the local authority.

There is no time limit for this, but the longer it was the less likely the authority would do that.

It would also depend on the size of the assets of the person and there age and condition at the time they gave the assets away.

Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think you've put my mind at rest for now. Thank you for your help James.
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Your very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.