UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Is there anyone that can give me advice today and a verbal

Customer Question

Hi is there anyone that can give me advice today and a verbal salon contract , thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: hi I am based in Sunderland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Hi a girl started my salon renting a room from me on a self employed bases and we agreed to a £100 a week.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I did offer her 2 weeks free a year for holidays so she agreed to 50 weeks instead of 52. So in start of lockdown last year in March when all salons had to close she said she couldn’t pay her rent. But the thing was I had still had to pay my landlord thought out the year only gave me a reduction of £100 off so I am still in areares with my land lord. She did sign a verbal contract with me stating she paid monthly. We were unable to pay from March till August, then November she never paid then January till April never paid. So today she has told me she is giving me a weeks notice and said she is going to another salon. I have told her that she has signed a contract with me for 50 weeks a year and she has admitted she got furlough, I told her out of her furlough she should of still paid her rent as it’s meant to help with over heads. As I have kept her room open for her when she returned to work. Also in her contract is says a month notice and she said she is giving me a week. She has threatened me with a solicitor so I would like to know my rights. Can you advise me where I go from here thank you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 18 days ago.

I am a solicitor.n A verbal agreement is legally binding and you may file a small claims court claim against her for the money she owes you.

I do not see why she is threatening you with a solicitor when it is you should should be threatening her with a claim for damages for breach of contract.

How much does she you owe in total, including 3 weeks rent in lieu of notice?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi outstanding is £3,000 and her rent from 25 th may to now is this months rent.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Would it possible to speak over the phone at some point please ,*********** Thank you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok what do you suggest I do from here, how much is the small claims .

Sorry, I am unable to call but a colleague may call.

You may file a claim against her online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

It will be in the small claims court.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can I claim the rent even if it was the result of furlough, the signed contract says the rent must be paid for 50 out of the 52 weeks in the year. Thank you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi also, what she is throwing back to me is how can she pay when legally she couldn’t work, she has admitted she received furlough is one of her out goings is her rent. Thank you.

Yes, the contract is binding and has nothing to do with furlough, that is a separate issue. You should claim as per the contract.

If she couldn't work, that is her problem, unless you agree to waive the rent, she is liable to pay it.

All the best

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi the girl is asking for a copy of her contract as she has lost hers also wanting me to send over bank statements of the rent she has paid, but I was thinking should she not be able to get access to her bank statements. Can’t you advice me on what to do do I forward them on or tell her to speck though her solicitor, thank you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 17 days ago.

You may give her a copy of the contract and if you do not wish to show your bank statements, you may ask her to look at hers to verify what she has paid you.

All the best

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you we will be in touch later if that’s ok thanks
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** think I should just wait for them to contact me, as she has threatened me with a solicitor, if I was to take her to the small court do you know roughly how many it would cost, thank you.

You may send her a letter asking her for payment within say 21 days and see whether she pays or not.

A small claims court claim involves filing fees, legal costs only if you engage a solicitor, but you may do it yourself as the procedure is meant to be less complex.

All the best

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome.