SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have created a VE-magazine not yet launched (e-magazine

I have created a VE-magazine not yet launched (e-magazine populated by vlogs hence the V) Called "The Venue" and am acutely aware that there are laws which regulate this type of industry. However, after some fruitless searching I have yet to find a LAW firm who can help setup / advise me of my legal position in this enterprise (help spot the legal land mines). I am mainly concerned with liability, defamation etc. and spotting this in the vlogs that we choose to go into the publication. The VE-magazine content is mainly as follows, Politics, Covid 19, environment, Britain after Brexit, Foreign affairs and entertainment. I understand that this request is probably going to deliver the same answer as the other firms I have approached, that of, “come to us when you need to defend yourself”, which in my eyes is too late. Anyway I can only live in hope that you can help.
All the best
Adr***** *****
MD Trade Venue Ltd
www.tradevenue.tv
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am base in Hampshire but have an office address in London as seen on our business website.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am a member of the FSB who have only been able to help me so far with the employment legalities but have not been able to help me with these parts of the law.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, To help budget this project into making me a rich man (as it is unique) I need to know what they will charge for their help (if they can help). I do not have a money pit (Yet!)

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please keep looking, thank you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please keep searching, thank you.

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I have reviewed your question. You are right that given the breadth of the areas the Vlogs will cover no amount of advice will be sufficient and no solicitor would even know how much to cover. What I would say is that you will be publishing people's views and comments about people and places. You may be publishing works that benefit from some intellectual property rights too. Essentially you will need to observe that what is said is factually correct and is not said with the view to denegrade any single person (the mine field of defamation and slander is a reality) and where you need to ensure licences are sought for using material authored by others you do so. Everythingelse to be honest you will know when you have been sued and you need to defend yourself. I agree it would be late but there is no way of protecting yourself against everything possibly litigious especially where contributors will be from all walks of life with their varied views and opinions. Disclaimers may block some of the potential reasons for being pursued where contributors have to accept liability.

I hope this helps if need for further comments please do not hesitate to send your message. Allt he best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK