james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I signed a rental contract for a flat based on online

I signed a rental contract for a flat based on online viewing due to the pandemic. However, in person it looks much smaller and not nice at all for my preference. What can I do to get out of the contract?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in Leicester United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have spoken to the landlord to cancel the contract and have told him im willing to pay fees for vontract termination
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The landlord has shown us other properties but they are not attractive now we they saying they can take us to court to pay for the full term rent or we should find a replacement tenant

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hey James. I am good thanks hope u are too. Thanks for the response.

Very sorry to say, but once you sign the rental agreement, you are legally bound by the contract. The fact you viewed the property only online makes no difference.

Things often look different online to in person, but if the property is an advertised, then you are stuck with it, unless the landlord lets you out of the agreement early. which is unlikely.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh I get it . Is there a way to negotiate with the landlord to reduce the contract to 41 weeks as opposed to 51?

That is something you would need to speak to the landlord about. With plenty of notice it is possible the will agree to that.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so much for letting me know my stance legally. Have a lovely day

Your very welcome, good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.