How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5428
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

My issue is quite complex. My daughter has a social worker

Customer Question

My issue is quite complex. My daughter has a social worker for children with disabilities team & has told me my mom is not allowed unsupervised contact with my daughter but there's nothing in writing about that, would that be right?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No cos I was told with no proof, there's nothing anyone can do about it.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Essex.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My daughter is 15 with complex needs & my mom wants to get a lawyer but I've told her it'll be hard for the lawyer to do anything without proof.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I've waited a while....
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's been 30 mins already.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If there are no solicitor online right now then it should be stated before saying it can be connected to one.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'll have to ask for a refund cos no-one is responding
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.

Good morning, welcome to just answer and thank you for your patience. I am reviewing your question now for you.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.

The social worker is appointed to protect the child’s best interests and the only people they cannot stop from having contact and access to the child where no safeguarding or any other issues have been raised in them are those with parental responsibility for the child. Unless your mum has applied for and secured the order, as Nan she has no automatic right to have access or contact with your daughter. So the short answer is the social worker could decide to stop her if she didn’t think it was in the best interests of your daughter for Nan to be unsupervised.

I hope this helps and any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I should be logging off shortly but don’t worry if you respond whilst I am offline I will wake up to the notifications and I will respond. You may get a call offer too which may be useful if you feel it may be better to discuss on the phone during the day as opposed to the typing back and forth. Call offer only accept if you want to speak to me otherwise just leave it and offer lapses with time. All the best.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I can't talk on the phone as I'm deaf. The social worker told me that my mom cannot have unsupervised contact with my daughter but it's not in writing, just spoken. My mom feels they should have told her that & to explain the reasons. Because of my daughter's complex needs, she has always had a social worker for children with disabilities. The social worker, since she was allocated to us late last year, has always threatened to go to Child Protection. And now she's trying to get me to surrender my child. She's 15 & after the CP meeting, they was going to take her off me the same day without Court then decided to leave her with me cos I got upset. Social workers before this one never had concerns about me or my mom til now.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
When they discovered there wasn't anywhere to place her, that's when they decided to leave her with me. I think maybe it's cos of my daughter's violent behaviour.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.

Hi I am very sorry to hear of the situation but you should ask for the confirmation and reasons in writing to be sent to you. They will not send to your mom because she doesn’t have parental responsibility for your daughter.