How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2714
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I was arrested due to an allegation of domestic abuse. I was

This answer was rated:

I was arrested due to an allegation of domestic abuse. I was diagnosed with a personality disorder and mental health issues before this arrest. When I was being arrested a police officer (of which there were 20) assaulted my parents during an arrest by pushing my father and restraining him by holding his arms. This police officer was extremely aggressive and threatened to arrest my distressed parents who were trying to explain my disorder to the arresting officers. I believe that fear and intimidation were used during my arrest and the offending officer was covered for by his collegues who claimed "to know the law better than I", This happened about two years ago and has aggravated my PTSD to the point my parents have installed a CCTV-doorbell so I can see who is knocking before they open the door. My life has been made a living hell by the police officers who caused undue stress that day. I remember crying constantly and begging a particular officer to please leave my parents alone. I feel unsafe knowing he is a serving police officer. I hope to persue this to stop him from causing more harm. I regret not coming forward earlier and I have only recently confided in a family member (who is a serving met officer) and seen how inappropriate his behavior was on the day of my arrest.
JA: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the charges?
Customer: no
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: At my house
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I currently do not take phone calls due to my PTSD and if possible would like to be contacted by email.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I was also taken to a police station under construction because of my mental health history and distress (which their holding cells were empty apart from me. I was recognized to be mentally unwell and in a vulnerable situation, in which I was allowed to stay with my mother as she is my appropriate adult. I was told whilst there, that I had received my maximum time allowed with my appropriate adult and was sent back to my cell, from my understanding: she is there because I am deemed unfit to represent myself and require someone to explain any questions I may have. I was not allowed to visit a nurse when suffering an episode and was not brought my prescribed medicine when requested. I have nightmares about that day and speak regularly to my therapist about this.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

I am sorry to hear what has happened. There are two options available to you. You may opt to make a complaint to the police station with respect to the action of the particular officer or you may bring a claim to seek compensation for this.

If you opt to bring a claim you would be required to act quickly as the law requires for claims to be brought within two years of the cause of action failing which they would be deemed to be statute barred. You must therefore take this into account in deciding whether to pursue this.

If it can be shown that the actions of the police has caused these mental health concerns then you may be able to successfully bring a claim. You would however have to be able to evidence this by way of medical reports.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What would be the best way to bring about a claim. My medical records will prove my being admitted to Springfield mental hospital shortly after the incident.

The best would simply to file a claim in the court on the basis that the police officer's actions were heavy handed and the effect it has had on you. i would recommend though that you seek the assistance of a solicitor to assist with filing the claim in the court.

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I very much appreciate your answer. You have pointed me in the right direction, I will follow up in the morning with a local solicitor.
Thanks again.

You are welcome!