How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15891
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

With regards to power of attorney as my father runs joint

Customer Question

With regards ***** ***** of attorney as my father runs joint bank accounts for himself and my mother who has dementia, if I have power of attorney with my father would I still have legal access to the finances if he passes away before my mother
JA: Can you tell me where this is? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: We are in Hampshire and no paperwork has been filed, we have just started to set it all up
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Documents to support what part?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My mother's dementia is to a degree where she cannot manage finances or live independantly, We want as a family to be able to generate the best care for her, I would like to know if we a have to set up independant LPA's for health and wealth for each parent, or if for my mother we need to apply to court of protection for legal control of care
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 9 days ago.


Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Is it a Lasting Power of Attorney which has been granted?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We have just started the process of applying for LPA for health and wealth for both my parents, But as my mother has dementia to such a degree that she is unable to live independantly, I am concerned we are to late for taking legal control of her affairs should my father pass away before her, Is there any way we can still achieve this
Expert:  INC Law replied 8 days ago.


Yes there is. You would need to make and application to the court of protection to be appointed as the Attorme.

Further details can be found at the following Govt website:

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Expert:  INC Law replied 8 days ago.