How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 380
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

Need to knw about rent I don't live in the property for now

This answer was rated:

Need to knw about rent I don't live in the property for now my wife has chucked me out . Rent is due and we both are in the agreement
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Aylesbury
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She got me arrested and am on bail condition and cannot go to the property

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about it.

How can I help. I note you are both on the tenancy agreement.

Marcinlondon and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. Are you UK based lawyer?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry I press the phone request by accident
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am not sure if I am charged

Yes I am based in the UK!

If you don't require a call just cancel it and type in your question here.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My wife has put a few allegations on me including assault. My kids age 14 & 8 live with her. I am out of.the house and on the rental agreement. Rent is now overdue from 7 days and they have sent notifications to both

Ok, thank you for the additional information. I will send my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have my financial difficulties as my phone car etc is taken, but at the same time if I come out of the rental contract kids security will be massively affected and there is no agreement between us for financial arrangements.


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I dont know how to cancel the phone call accepted

Just contact customer service.

Firstly, for obvious reasons you should comply with your bail conditions. Do not contact your wife etc.

Secondly, you may want to contact the landlord and explain the situation and enter into an arrangement with him/her.

Are you able to pay the outstanding rent?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am not in contact with her in any way. House is rented through agency and I am scared to open up this conversation with them as they may take the property and it will affect the kids. I am unable to pay the outstanding but happy to contribute to keep the kids safe

I think what you could do is to pay them what you can - and state that your wife should be paying the remaining part.

Depending on the outcome of your case, your wife may want to apply for a Universal Credit, which could help her with the rent.

You may try to discuss this with your wife through a solictor?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She earns £1450 a month and gets £140 child care benefits. Rent is £1175 + all bills. My earning is £1600 and I am paying £500 rent for a room and have my living expenses and expenses for kids. How much do you think is reasonable for me to contribute?

It is hard to say but if you want to keep the house then the more you pay the better. What you need to remember is that with most tenancies, each tenant is jointly responsible for the full rent. So even if you pay 50% of the rent now, and your wife fails to pay the other 50% the landlord may recover the outstanding 50% from you.

Try to speak to your wife through a solicitor and hopefully you will sort it out.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. How are your fees if I decide to use u

We can't take instructions from customers on this site - these are the site rules. I would love to help if I could.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will try and speak to.the agency first to see how to take it further

Sounds good. Keep me updated.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I message on the same portal?

Yes, you can request me and/or message anytime you need!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.