Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I have registered power of attorney LPA finance and health

Hello, I have registered power of attorney LPA finance and health over my friend of many years, Christine.
She owns a flat which is currently rented, not her main abode.
This flat is bequeathed in her will to someone but we will need money to support Christine with her care. Can I sell this flat without informing the person who would inherit?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: nothing so far
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: cornwall
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.
Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Thank you for your patience. Is Christina currently unable to make decisions on her behalf?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
she is hospitalised with early dementia
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I cannot talk on the phone as I am deaf

It is a tricky one. She had a clear intention to dispose of her flat in her will so your actions under the LPA should not be conflicting in any way with her will.

You should contact a solicitor outside of this platform to see if there ate any ways around this.

The key here is the date of the will and the date of the LPA.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK, thank you

But considering how sensitive this topic is it appears to me that you need a comprehensive legal advice and you can only get it from a solicitor outside of this platform. I hope I have managed to help somehow.

Feel free to come back with anything else. I will be happy to help.