How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7981
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I own a flat not in my local area and have recently

Customer Question

Hello, I own a flat not in my local area and have recently discovered that the managing agents have not kept the communal areas inside and outside the property in good repair. It’s practically derelict. I have a video and have written to the managing agents and have not received a response. My service charges are up to date. I would appreciate advice on whether I have a claim to be refunded my service charges and compensation for misrepresentation of services not carried out. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have only written to the managing agents
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Folkestone
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so. Glad to hear I can have help with this dreadful situation
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.


I am a solicitor.

Sorry to hear this. Have you raised the issue with the managing agents?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I wrote to them and asked for a response by 4th June (about 2 weeks ago)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry can’t afford the £44 right now. We can continue to text if that’s okay with you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

Have they not responded? We do not need to speak on the phone.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay. I just want to know if you can take this forward on my behalf please?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

This is a Q&A forum, not a law firm. I can assist with any legal questions but not represent you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay I misunderstood. So legally where do I stand?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

You should ask for a refund of service charges if the services charged for have not been provided. If you are not refunded, you may file a claim in court online at for the return of the money.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. That was helpful. Have a good day
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome.