How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15907
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My mom and dad got there ILR in 1988. My dad has passed

This answer was rated:

My mom and dad got there ILR in 1988. My dad has passed away. I am there only child. Mom is eligible for uk citizenship if she stays here in London for 9 out of 12 months. I have a 2 year multiple visa. I have also lived in London continuously from 1979 till 1985 and then visited regularly.
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: What’s the best way for me to get residency here?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my question is regarding ILR for myself


Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

In order for you to obtain ILR, you would need tonhave lived in the UK for a period of 5 years in a category of visa which leads to settlement.

From the information you have provided, it does not appear you would be eligible.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1979 till 1985 is 6 years. I went to prep and boarding school. Will that period of time qualify me?Also once mom is a UK citizen will I qualify in any way.Also I am a architect. I practice in Dubai. Any way to start the process using my professional status?


If your parents had Natiknality during that time, you wouldnhave been eligible but not now you are over 18.

If you wish to come to the UK to settle, there are 2 viable options:

1. Tier 2 Spknsored Work Visa - you need a UK employer to sponsor your application.

2. Entrepreneur Visa - Investment of 2 million required.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

It's a pleasure.

Good luck.

INC Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you