JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Can a pub or restaurant bar people for making comments on

Customer Question

Can a pub or restaurant bar people for making comments on social networking
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Redcar
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None just walked out
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Generally, people are barred if they cause problems for a business such as pub or restaurant. They may have this in their terms and conditions if you check their website. If you post any comments on social media which are defamatory then they may try to bar you. Though they need to be careful to not bar you due to discrimination.
It sounds like they want to bar you as they think your comments are defamatory.

A defamation claim requires that someone has either verbally said something (slander), or written something (libel) which was untrue and they knew it to be untrue - with the intention to damage your reputation. The untrue comments have to be brought to a third party’s attention to qualify.
There is a defence if the person who made the comments can prove the comments were true, or they held an honest belief their comments were true.
So if your comments were truthful or you held an honest belief they were true then you would have a defence.
You may want to report the pub / restaurant to Trading Standards if you feel they have been unfair - you can reach Trading Standards on 0808(###) ###-####

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

My pleasure