Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

Someone who kept watching me repeatedly and wouldn't leave

Customer Question

Someone who kept watching me repeatedly and wouldn't leave me alone
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: i told the police but that person is trying to turn the situation around saying i am harrassing her but i never did now im depressed can you help me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just connect me
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Since the police are unable to assist at the moment I suggest you apply to the local county court for a civil injunction. This is a court remedy that orders the man to stop such conduct and failing to do so can amount to a criminal offence.

However, before you do this, send the person a cease and desist letter to warn the person of your intentions unless he stops.

Please give the person 14 days to stop the conduct.

You can obtain a “cease and desist” letter template from www.lawdepot.co.uk. That said you can a draft letter by your self too but ensure you make it known it is a cease and desist letter and he stops the conduct(ensure you spell out the conduct too) in question. Further it will be wise to remind her that her conducts falls within the definition given within Section 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which is as unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress”. Hopefully the letter may well be enough to stop the conduct as an injunction is a serious legal remedy.

Assuming the conduct continues after you send the letter then it would be up to you whether you want to apply for the injunction. My advice is to instruct a local solicitor to assist you with completing the relevant forms. Alternatively you can return to JA and open a new question and i or one of the other experts can assist you with regards ***** ***** the relevant forms.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i asked her via messages why she kept watching me and requested answers for her strange behaviour
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
but she doesn't want to talk to me and she said she told the police about me
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
that the police are going to 'do' me
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
but i been provoked she is the one who started it
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What do you think
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i read what you said about the cease letter which seems good advice i am just wondering is it illegal for her to claim the police are going to 'do' me

Unfortunately I can't assist on the criminality of such words as it is vague and could be interpreted in a number of ways. That said if the effect has caused you distress you should add that to reasons why perhaps an injunction is necessary.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and have a good day.