SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

A colleague I used to work with is accusing me of having an

Good afternoon, a colleague I used to work with is accusing me of having an affair with her husband. She told quite a few people about it. Her husband is a manager in the hotel I used to work in, she is the bar manageress. I had a chance to go back to that hotel and work part time to put the money towards my business income. Now, because of this I'm losing the extra income and my name will have a bad reputation too. My husband is laughing and obviously doesn't believe the accusations because it never happened. We live in small town and I'm devastated. What can I do? How can I clear my name? Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wales, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing. I wanted to talk to her and find out why she thinks I'm having an affair with her husband. I haven't seen him for about two years, since I left that job. She won't talk to me and calls me f**** liar ☹️
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It all came as a shock. I don't really now how it all happened. Could you please tell me how much the advice will cost? Just in case I cannot afford it ☹️

Good afternoon, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, typing is fine, thank you.

Hi. I will type now but you have also got a live call, do you want me to call instead to save on time. Apologies I have been offline

What are they looking to achieve? Are they harassing you or making specific requests? What does the partner say?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
please, phone call will be good

I am calling you now,

Hi, thank you for taking the call earlier. I totally appreciate the situation must be frustrating as you have not done what the manager is saying to people who also know you. Because this is causing you alarm you have the protection from harassment act 1997 to look to for protection. Further what she is saying can amount to defamation of your character if your reputation is now affected and people do not hold you in high regard anymore because of the false allegations. As discussed you ought to send to her a firm and to the point Cease and Desist letter. I can draft the skeleton here and please input fuller details when you finalise to then send to her. Send it by email and post and keep receipt of postage for future.

Dear Mrs...

Cease and Desist Letter:

On..June 2021 and whilst at...Hotel you approached me and you falsely accused me of having an affair with your partner/husband. I was shocked and totally surprised and I told you that I had never had any relationship with your husband/partner and I told you to stop making such disparaging accusations.

Despite our confrontation on ...June 2021, it has been brought to my attention that you have been telling people that I had an affair with your husband/partner. You have done this with the sole purpose of damaging my character and reputation and people have started treating me differently as a result. I have a husband and I have children and your comments are hurtful to me and my family.

By this letter I notify you to cease and desist from your conduct. I request that you reply to this letter within 3 days confirming that you have stopped with immediate effect. Should I not receive your email/letter please note that I will report you for harassment and I will take legal action for the Court to stop you in your tracks and I will also seek damages for the defamation.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs....

Feel free to work with that draft to include further detail if there is a lot more that she has been saying. I wish you all the best and any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. All the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help x

No problem at all. Glad I could assist.