SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am creating a book with some artists' work (with their

Customer Question

I am creating a book with some artists' work (with their permission) and I am wondering if I need to get the book copyrighted including their work as they are paid for the art works and should not have rights to the book later
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

Good evening. Welcome to just answer. I am

a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

It would be wise to register your copyright to the book as you have authored the book. Although there is no requirement to register copyright in England and Wales. If there was a dispute in future unregistered intellectual property rights are near impossible to prove. Be mindful of what you agreed with the writers you entered into the agreement with them to include their works in your book because that can have an impact on what you can actually protect. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to clarify. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. I am based in Scotland therefore would the rules be much different? I'm not sure how to register copyright - do I wait until after I have self-published? I was going to probably use Amazon. So I would be looking to copyright the book as my full property that I have the rights to use?
So for the artist I have commissioned first I have written to confirm in my email the price, that I am being given physical and digital forms, and that I have the rights to use and own the images. Is this enough to begin with as a contract that binds them to not claim anything on me later?
Thank you for your help

You are welcome. This is one area where Scotland  is not different. If your forms make it clear that you own copyright to your book then they can’t turn around and claim they have author rights to your book

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. Is there one place to register copyright like a centralised goverment thing or are there several places to register copyright? Do I wait until the book is self-published? Do any publishers offer copyright when publishing do you know?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

Good morning. I would strongly recommend that you engage Intellectual Property Solicitors local to you to assist. Not sure where you are in Scotland but there are a number in Glasgow. Some publisher will offer as part of their package but I couldnt say which do regrettably. all the best