UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have lent money to a friends fiancé. He’s paid just £50

I have lent money to a friends fiancé.
He’s paid just £50 back, (he borrowed £800.00) This man and fiancé then split up!! He is now telling his fiancé that, unless she gives him an answer to a problem they had in their relationship, he refuses to pay my money back!! Can he do this??

I am a solicitor. Did you have a written loan agreement with him? When was the money due to be paid back to you?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was just a friends agreement, he fully accepts that he owes the debt but, I was no part of his relationship whatsoever.
I have text messages which prove that he accepts the debt, I find his conditions most bizarre.

I am unable for a call.

In that case, you may threaten to file a small claims court claim against him for your loan which you may do at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

The relationship breakdown has nothing to do with you and your loan.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Very many thanks for your time and your help Sir.
Janet (Chilvers)

You are welcome Janet.

All the best