Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Morning, I have had an extension built with a new kitchen. A

Morning, I have had an extension built with a new kitchen. A company has done all the work and I have paid for it in full. Now I have the kitchen supplier contacting me saying he is coming to take half the kitchen away because the company I got has not paid him in full. I get hold of the company who has done the work. Don’t know what to do, can they come and take half the kitchen away?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Middleton, Manchester, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing just yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The builder has only finished 95% of the work and I have paid in full. Can’t get hold of the company and the inspector has passed off the building on Thursday.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Who did you pay exactly? and how long ago was this please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi my name is***** will send you over of the company and if you need the contract then I can send that too

Hi there Martin. Who did you pay exactly? and how long ago was this please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The company name is ***** ***** co LTD

Thank you Martin. Please provide the information requested so that I can assist

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I paid Elite group co LTD the company who I hired to do the extension and kitchen. I had a contract with them. The job started in January and I have made several payments into the account up to now. I have paid 24k for everything. From the first of June I cant get hold of the company anymore. I made my last payment in May.

Thank you. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

The kitchen supplier cannot just come on to your property to take the kitchen away – only you decide whether they are allowed on the premises and if they get in without such permission, they will be trespassing. The simple thing is to not let them in in the first place. If they have any issues with the installer then they need to pursue them directly, rather than involve you, especially as none of this is your fault.

Be very clear with them that they will be trespassing if they try and enter your property without your consent and that you will call the police if they even attempt it. Remind them also that the dispute they have with the installer is between them and nothing to do with you and it does not mean you are liable for the return of the kitchen, considering you have already paid for it and title has passed to you.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.