UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I engaged a builder to do some garden work back in December

Customer Question

Hi I engaged a builder to do some garden work back in December 2020 he started in January 21 . It was a 5 day job that has now taken over 5 months. He still has not completed the job. I have only paid a deposit so far as the balance is due on completion. I have asked he completes by 2 deadlines snd he himself set a deadline that he has not met. He has apologised and reduced the final balance as a goodwill gesture but I just want the job completed. How should I proceed?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bordon in Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just email trails setting deadlines. 2 I have set but he asked for more time . The last he set their last Saturday 5th June but then claimed he was pinged for covid isolation .by chance I did see him driving his van around later that day .
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just want the job completed and to pay the balance. But I need it completed as it’s gone on way too long.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 11 days ago.

I am a solicitor. Sorry to hear this.

Have you considered appointing another builder to complete the work?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have considered it , however will I need to pay the current builder anything?

No, you should not pay your current builder anything and inform him that you are terminating his engagement with immediate effect on the basis of non performance and breach of contract and that you will not pay him anything further and that you reserve the right to claim from him any damages that you may incur.

You may then engage another builder to complete the work.

All the best

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would I not be liable to pay for even part of the work completed as he has done about 90%? He just needs to finish off and redo one bit . Sorry I am just trying to make sure.

Yes, in that case you should pay him if he asks for 90% of the work.