How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23762
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have already got my divorce and decree nisi and have now

Customer Question

I have already got my divorce and decree nisi and have now received paperwork for signature for consent order asking me to sign and return but do I still have a claim against a inheritance received before divorce went through not sure if I can ask for a settlement against my ex husband
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have received paperwork from his solicitor Statement of information for consent order in relation to financial remedy where they have filled it in and just want me to sign but I dont agree with what's he put
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Iive in Lowestoft he lives in Northamptonshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes I believe he has used inheritance to purchase a property thinking I would not find out so has played with figures on paperwork
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

For background -

how long were you together and married in total?

who was the inheritance from and when?

does he have pension(s) (not state)?

and what would you like out of a financial settlement?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Approx 19years (married 2002) together since 1995
His Aunty.
Yes he has pension
Some sort of financial settlement he left me with lots of debt in my name I have no pension till I retire in 2023 and no savings
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm so stressed and not knowing where I stand
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
is there a way of applying to land registry to find out who owns a property ? I believe my ex husband purchase in December 2020 but he states he is renting property
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

You can get the title deed and the plan quickly and easily by using this link:!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

and you will have to pay 3 pounds for the title deed and 3 pounds for the plan.

You will then have them in minutes if not seconds.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Unfortunately, what you cannot do is search the Land Registry by owners name to find out whether they own any property or not.  If it was a murder or fraud investigation or suchlike, no doubt the police would be able to get that information from the land registry but it is not publicly viewable or accessible.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards