How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2329
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and all my family and

Customer Question

Hi - I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and all my family and friends where also a part of that community - I chose to leave the religion, but since doing so, my family and friends have shunned me and cease to have any communication with me - this is encouraged by the Jehovah's Witnesses organization. This treatment has caused me much distress and mental health issues. I am interested if there is anything I can do to expose the organization's cruel treatment and seek compensation.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is loads of information - it's very difficult to summarize in a chat message
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm have they say anything to damage your character?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi - yes I have heard stories going around about myself that are not factual or correct. I have also been deemed internally as "bad association" / therefore people who were once my friends will no longer speak to me. It's a very complicated situation and very difficult to explain in a couple of sentences.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message.

I am very sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today You may have a case of defamation against the person. A statement is defamatory if it is one that when read or heard by an ordinary right thinking member of the public; not avid for gossip causes or is likely to cause serious harm damage to the claimant’s reputation. I would recommend that you find a solicitor in your area to bring the claim forward if you decide to do so.  You can read more about defamation here:

You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function:

You will be able to search by specialism  and also town or postcode to find one near you if you wish to pursue this course of action.

You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments.  Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!