How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13116
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am having problems with a neighbour spreading malicious

This answer was rated:

Good morning, I am having problems with a neighbour spreading malicious rumours that i am a peadophile and not sure what i can do about it.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Totnes Devon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They have contacted the police

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not initially thanks

1.  Given the seriousness of the allegations made of paedophilia, you should see  a solicitor near where you live who spcialises in Defamation law and get legal proceedings issued against the neighbour seeking an injunction and damages to prevent the spread of these false allegations.  An injunction will prevent him saying or repeating any of the allegations.  You can seek an interlocutory injunction before the proceedings to stop the allegations immediately. This is how you get the neighbour falsely spreading the allegations.  Such an injunction can be obtained within a week, should you contact the solicitor today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok many thanks for your help.

2.  Be aware that the fact a complaint has been made to the police will not prevent you getting an injunction, as the law will not protect a false complaint.  So, you should present this fact as part of a campaign being run against you in getting the injunction.

3.  You are welcome to the advice.  If you require any further clarification or if there is any other issue arising in relation to your question, I am happy to help further and provide additional information.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Many thanks again I will contact a solicitor today.

4.  Glad to be of assistance.  Have a good day.

Buachaill and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you