Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I want to make a legal claim for discrimination on a company

I want to make a legal claim for discrimination on a company I worked for 2 years ago. Is this still possible?
JA: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I discussed with a lawyer and they said they can’t be of help as they have a 3 months limit
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee but I left that company 2 years ago
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Please explain the reason for the claim in some more detail

Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Hi there. Please explain the reason for the claim in some more detail

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That’s fine

Are you not receiving my responses? I sent through a query twice but do not seem to have received your reply

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
when I worked in that company, I faced discrimination among my team members. I later escalated it to a senior member of the company and HR. They tried to help out but my situation got worse till I left the company
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just responded. Do you see?

OK thank you. You will need to explain this further though. How were you discriminated against? and how long had you worked there for? Also, why did you not take action sooner?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok I am writing out the explanation further

Thank you. I will wait for you to provide responses to each of the additional questions I sent through

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
1. I moved in from Ghana to work in a front office role in a finance firm. My colleagues did not include me in the day to day work on the desk as I inferred they thought my background wasn’t suitable. They would not engage me even after I tried to ask questions to get up to speed on the work. It got to a point I was being included in the work. In the beginning I thought it was my fault. So i started taking psychological counselling until I spoke to the senior member of the bank who helped me highlight the issues to HR. After a period. Some of the members on the team who were not including me in the job started acting to include me. One day, someone on the team committed suicide. One of the members of the team told me “if you have issues and don’t talk about it, this is why can happen to you”. Referring to suicide.I later got another job offer and left. After working in my new firm for a while, I have noticed that what I was going through was actually discrimination and I know other employees who currently work there and are facing similar issues. I decided to take this up now cos I don’t this to keep happening

OK thank you, ***** ***** long had you worked there for? Also, why did you not take action sooner?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I worked in that firm for 2 years
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I didn’t take action sooner because I wasn’t aware that was discrimination. I had moved in from a African country for the first time and I just wanted to please everyone. I thought that was how the system was supposed to work out of naivety
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I worked there for 2 years jan 2017 to Feb 2019
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I didn’t take action sooner out of ignorance. But now, after learning more about this and talking to others who are going through similar experiences with the firm, I have decided to take action

Thank you, ***** ***** are ideally hoping to achieve so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m not too sure what the remedies are for in this country for such a situation. That is why I’m seeking legal help

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Hi there, so as mentioned, the time limits for making a claim for discrimination are 3 months in the Employment Tribunal and 6 months in the County Court and you are unfortunately out of time on both counts. There is one usual way to try and get an extension and that is if you can show that it was not reasonably practicable for you to make the claim in time. However, simply not knowing the time limits is not a ground that will likely get you an extension and you are mainly looking at things like illness, or being wrongly advised by an adviser about the limits and relying on that to miss them

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.