MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  20 years experience in Wills and Probates and Trusts
109551472

My mum passed away two years ago before this my mum and

Customer Question

My mum passed away two years ago before this my mum and stepdad took out equity release on there house I was always told that anything happened to my mum the house then became mine and my sisters my stepdad is now moving in with a new partner was just wondering if me and my sister was still entitled to have
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Half the sale of the house
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that’s basically all I no
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

Good morning thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear that you lost your mother. Did your mother leave a Will? Also do you have a copy of the land registry title information for the property please that I could see?

Marian

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
my mum did leave a will but neither me or my sister has seen the will
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

So really I would need a copy of the will and the land registry information to be able to confirm where you stand.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The house was owed by a equity release company
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

So is your step father living in the house?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
at the moment but he has to sell it back to the equity release people who then sell the house on
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

Strictly speaking it will be sold and the equity release will be paid off first. He won't have to sell it back to them. It depends if the house is in your mother's name or both their names and it depends on the Will your mother left, I cannot advise you without knowing that information. If the house is in joint names then it will default to your step father and the Will won't override that I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you for ur help
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** could get the land registry information that would help, see below

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do