How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13950
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Can I sell half my property without the other owners

This answer was rated:

Hi can I sell half my property without the other owners permission if we own it 50-50 as tenants in common?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we are currently on the market but the other proprietor is making it very difficult to sell And I wish to move ASAP
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The other proprietor is a family member and I also live on the grounds in an annex at the end of the garden we have not spoken for over two years as we have had a relationship breakdown and I live longer wish to be in this situation I was forcing a sale to start with that then she agreed to sell and now we have come to a dead end.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If I can sell can I sell to a company or does it have to be an individual?

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Yes, you can sell your share and to whoever you want. The benefit of owning as tenants in common is that you own the 50% as a distinct share, meaning you can sell it without the other owner's permission and you can leave your share in your will if you wanted to. You do not own the property jointly or together as a whole. If you did (joint tenancy) and if they refused to buy you out or to sell, you would have to apply to the county court for an order. To sell your share you should consider obtaining 3 estate agency valuations, work out the equity, then sell your share and obtain a price to reflect your 50% shareholding.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That’s great Thankyou Jim so if I found someone interested in buying my share I can sell to them even if the other party lives on the same grounds as myself ? I take it that the other owner would not be happy if I did this as she would half own a property with someone that she does not know am I still in my legal rights to do this anyway?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Text is fine Thankyou tho Jim I know A bit about what I can do legally I just wanted to clarify well I know and that there would be no way she could stop me from selling to a stranger or company.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Hi, you can sell your share and that's the benefit of owning in distinct shares

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thankyou Jim
Kind regards

My pleasure, thanks