How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 255
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

I have a sole tenancy that ends in November. My landlord

This answer was rated:

I have a sole tenancy that ends in November. My landlord sent me a tx on the weekend. It threatened to give me notice to quit in November because he doesn't like the person I'm in a relationship with. My partner occasionally stays with me.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I live in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've tried to talk to my landlord but he will not talk to me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My partner has done nothing in this situation. I feel like I'm being blackmailed


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem with your landlord.

Is it an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed term?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
until November 2021

Then the landlord is at liberty to serve a section 21 notice to evict you in any event.

At the moment the notice period has to be 4 months but it can be done to expire in November 2021.

If you receive such a notice the landlord still needs to obtain a court order to evict you.

To succeed the section 21 has to comply with various requirements.

If you paid a deposit it has to be registered with a scheme; the landlord had to provide you with a Gas Safety Certificate and Energy Performance Certificate and the government's "How to Rent" booklet.

Also the notice must be on Form 6A.

If any of the above are missing the notice is invalid and they cannot evict you.

However, if they are determined sooner or later they can do so.

I suggest you try and negotiate with them as they are being extreemely unreasonable.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
If negotiation failed, could I make any financial claim against him as I will have to find new accommodation and all that goes with it.

Possibly if you can prove his ill intent because the nature of the section 21 is a no fault notice.

Keep the text as evidence.

Lawry and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you