Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have holiday compensation from Uber. They offer this only

Customer Question

Hi. I have holiday compensation from Uber. They offer this only for 2 year. Do I have chance to get more then 2 years?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am self employed
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am not in union
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Please explain what this holiday compensation actually is? What do they offer/give you and how does the 2 year period fit in?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ben. I’m Lukas. After High Court decision Uber have to pay holiday for drivers. They said that by the law they can only pay 2 years period back from March 2021. Because of that I’m missing 13 months.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. They are correct that the law limits holiday pay claims to 2 years only, meaning that you cannot generally claim for unpaid holidays going back further than 2 years. The specific law that deals with this is the Deduction from Wages (Limitation) Regulations 2014. I understand that there are various legal firms making separate group claims against Uber or at least negotiating with them to try and cover holiday for a longer period, but as far as the law stands, you can only go back 2 years. You may find that Uber agrees to pay more than the 2 years but that could be as part of a deal with the firm they are negotiating with and the people it represents. It may be worth looking around or talking to colleagues to see if they are joining any such group claim or know of any, so you can consider joining them too if needed.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best