How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23746
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I've been living with my partner in his house. Our relation

Customer Question

Hi I've been living with my partner in his house. Our relation ship has broken down due to him nit accepting son disabilities. He has now told me to get out. Do.i have any rights.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well I've been constantly looking for a house
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No not really apart from my partner has very narcissistic issues. He has been winding g my son.up until he snaps
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 13 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Is there any agreement as joint or tenants in common?

and how long have you been there and what do you contribute?

your son is not his son and how old is he?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No thete are no agreements.
When I moved in.he told me I wouldn't have to contribute as he was already paying the bills. But I agreed to do shopping and pay utility bills. O gave up my rented house to come to live with him 6 years ago.
It is not his son my son is 28 yrs old.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No please don't call sorry how much is the call?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Please could we do online as my money us now limited
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi are you still there?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry why is it taking a long time
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Have I waistec money?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry, but this is not a chat service.  It’s an email reply board and therefore there may be a delay getting back to you because we have clients and travelling and other users to deal with.

Sometimes we will get back to you in minutes, other times it will be longer.

You may have a financial interest in the property if you have contributed towards it and you may be able to make an application to court under part 4 of the Family Law Act is your son as a child of the relationship or has been accepted by your partner as a child of the relationship..

As you say your son is 28 years old, and it’s not your partner’s child, your partner is actually at liberty to exclude the child from the house which you may not want so on a practical basis, even if you get a part 4 order to stay in the house, it’s not practical and in any event would you really want to continue to live in the property under a cloud.

However the right to live in the property and any financial claim that you have against the property is a different thing altogether and any financial claim would depend on what you paid towards the property.

Indirect payments such as shopping and bills would only be taken into account if without those indirect payments, your partner could not afford to stay in the property.

I’m sorry, I know this is probably mostly not the answer you wanted.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards