How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1015
Experience:  20 years experience in Wills and Probates and Trusts
Type Your Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

My partner died 18 moths ago. His family say I wasn't his

Customer Question

My partner died 18 moths ago. His family say I wasn't his partner to bar me from inheritance. They say as I had my own house which I didnt live in, had my details like banking voting at my house though I lived at his house for 13 yrs I have no claim. He fraudulently claimed single person's council tax discount for that period. If I report it will the council sue the estate for that amount or does his death end the fraud liability.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Yes a lawyer has put on a claim. I've written a full story of the family life to show I was there which they reject saying the above. Bank details etc.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: I am 75 and was locked out without notice two weeks before Christmas. The house is in Sturry Canterbury Kent
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm finding it very difficult to get anyone to confirm I was there as people in the lane know my partner's son still lives there and are afraid of reprisals. The eldest son claimed I killed his father despite my looking after a man with inoperable cancer. The son didn't want the ambulance called but I did it to save his father as best I could. If I wanted his death I wouldnt have called the ambulance. The son is very nasty.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear of your situation.

The council tax issue may depend upon whether you paid council tax at your own property or not, did you still pay for your own council tax?

kind regards


Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He took a single person's tax put despite my living there as his partner. Is that then OK and doesn't constitute fraud if I paid seprtate council tax? I need a cast iron way of proving I lived there as his partner. I thought attacking this statement might help me.
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

What inheritance are you due, is there a Will? So where are all your things, your clothes etc?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
There's a will but the family say Im. not mentioned. My partner said he'd made provision for me so my current solicitor says it may not be the latest will. My partner had five rental houses as well as the home we lived in so it's a reasonable estate. I have six months to make a case.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have some of my possessions back but not all. Things they wont give me Include our foster son's college and medical files, which would obviously help establish I lived there.
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

You have longer than that, you have up to six months after the the Grant of probate is issued.

Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My question originally was about the council tax fraud. Does it still apply if the person is deceased? If I pay council tax ony own property does that make his claim to be living there alone fraudulent or
Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

No his claim wouild not be fraudulent if you were also paying council tax as no tax has been avoided. You would be asking him to pay double the council tax, the tax you pay on your own and the tax for you to live with him.

Expert:  MarianC replied 5 days ago.

Good morning, do you need any further assistance?