How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4474
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My son had mediation with his ex girlfriend which she

This answer was rated:

Hi my son had mediation with his ex girlfriend which she refused to attend now it's going to court and we have been advised to get a solicitor my son is on benefits I rang the solicitor that did his mediation and they told me that they can't act for him can he get legal aid for this many thanks
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: We paid for an application and court date is 16th June
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Boston but they said will be done over video call
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Carcass has spoke to both parties and decided my son is not safe to be around his children even though we have had them every other weekend for last 3 years she is claiming a lot of abuse but no proof

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Unless your son has been the victim of domestic abuse from his ex partner, with evidence to prove that, he is unlikely to be eligible for legal aid. However you can check for him here:

If he is eligible, the website will take his details and someone will call him, or he will be given a number to call to discuss his case initially. Given it is such short notice, even if he is eligible for legal aid, it is unlikely that the certificate would be put in place for 16th June (it can take several weeks), so he may not get representation for the first hearing.

If he is not eligible, which I strongly suspect he won't be given that the ex has made allegations of abuse against him, then you can find a solicitor here:

You can try a direct access barrister too, if you wish. See

I would strongly suggest, because of the allegations against him, that he does have some form of representation, particularly if he is not confident about speaking for himself in court.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
SASH_Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you