Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We made a large investment about 7 years ago but

Customer Question

We made a large investment about 7 years ago but unfortunately the company went in liquidation a couple of years later. We have not had our money back. Recently internet escrow services U.K. approached us saying that they can get our money back but we have to pay £6000.00 early termination of the 10 year bond with aegis wind finance. We feel this is a scam can you tell me your views on this subject please?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No we haven’t spoken to a solicitor as yet. We are in the U.K. as is the company we bought the bonds from.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as yet they are saying that if we hand over the 6000.00 up front we will receive our 60,000.00 initial investment then the 6000.00 will be returned to us!
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don’t think so.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Do they have a website? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
www.iescrowsevices.com
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please note the spelling of the word service it is missing the r
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No an email will be fine.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Thank you and just to confirm the website is as above, as that result does not open any page for me?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. I have been unable to locate the site in question (even with the misspelling). The website domain you provided is for sale and nothing is registered on it. I did however locate the site with the correct spelling www.iescrowservices.com and it is a registered domain but it is only 26 days old.

In any event, the facts indicate that this is very likely to be a scam, specifically the type known as ‘advance-fee fraud’. That is because the victim is asked to make advance payments before anything they have been promised materialises.

As there are numerous variations of such scams, the best way to explain how they work is to identify certain 'red flags' which are often present in their build-up. The following are the most common ones:

- Someone contacts you and promises you a sum of money. You are unlikely to have ever been involved with the persons/organizations concerned so it would be unexpected and they are offering you a chance to recoup money lost in the past

- Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money. There are various reasons quoted for this, such as taxes, clearance fees, administrative costs, legal fees, etc. This is where the advance payment part of the scam comes in.

- Tempted by their promises, the requested fees are paid in good faith.

- However, once the money has been sent, the fraudsters either stop all contact and run away with your money, or they return and ask for further fees for different, often unexpected, reasons

In summary, if an unknown person contacts you out of the blue and promises you money but asks you to pay them something in advance, whatever the reasons, you basically know it is a scam. Avoid temptation, no matter how good it may sound and remember the old saying – ‘If it is too good to be true, it probably isn’t’. Also

The key now is to not proceed any further with this. Cease all communications with them and certainly do not send money if asked to, no matter what they say.

There are a few options to report this matter to the relevant authorities and they can potentially take it further if necessary:

- Initially, you can report this to your local police department

- You can also send a report to your local Consumer Protection Office: https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer

- The Federal Trade Commission can receive reports for most scams via their Online Complaint Assistance tool: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

- As the scam originated via the internet, you should submit a complaint to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre (IC3) by following this link: https://www.ic3.gov/Home/FileComplaint

UK In order to report this, you should contact Action Fraud (The National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre), by calling 0300(###) ###-####or online: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Ben you have been very helpful and informative. I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier but we have been out for the evening and didn’t have access to my email. Thank you again for your help you have put our minds at rest.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best