Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

On the 03.06.21 i asked a question about cps and bail. i now

Customer Question

on the 03.06.21 i asked a question about cps and bail.
i now have a further question about bail, does it just apply to this country?.
we have a property in the canary islands, could we meet up there?
As terms of bail here my wife and i are not allowed to meet up here, and would we be breaking bail conditions if we met up there.
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

I have reviewed your document, but it does not show what the conditions of bail are. I see that you are not allowed to meet up with your wife.

Being on bail in itself will not prevent you from going on holiday or from leaving the country provided you are able to attend the police station or court when required to do so.  That is the general position.   However, it is the conditions of bail which may prevent you from leaving the country such as being required to stay at a particular address.  If the condition is that you cannot meet up with your wife, then to do so would be a danger of breach of that condition.

I trust that this has been of some help.  If not, let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
my wife who is on bail, is allowed to leave the country and go to the canaries, the terms of bail is she is not allowed to come home to me at the uk address. So can we meet up in the canaries? Is meeting up there effect bail as it is not in the UK and surely is not covered by English law.
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

On the basis that the condition of bail is that person X cannot go to UK address Y, then going to the Canaries would not breach this bail condition.  I cannot comment on any other conditions which may/may not be in place.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
are you saying if we cannot meet in uk together, we can not meet together anywhere in the world together, even though the country is covered by its own laws and not uk jurisdiction.
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

I am not saying anything about worldwide travel.  The specific answer is: On the basis that the condition of bail is that person X cannot go to UK address Y, then going to the Canaries would not breach this bail condition.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if it says "we cannot meet together" should that be read as the uk where it was put in place, or everywhere.?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i have to say i personally have not had a copy of the bail conditions, though asked for them i have only been told third party.
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

I would not personally want to take the risk if you don't know what the conditions are.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok thank you