Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have show tickets bought through viagogo, was rearranged

Customer Question

Hi, I have show tickets bought through viagogo, was rearranged last year to this month, due to the obvious, now rearranged to July next year. Their email states non refundable as show is rearranged. Can they be held to this? Seems unfair to hold money for something that will be 2 years past the original date? We have option to re-sell but no guarantee they'll sell
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm England, the show is in Cardiff
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, wanted advice first. We've also moved now so a lot further away
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Do you have the original terms and conditions to hand, from when you first purchased the tickets? If so, please upload them on here. Please also copy and paste the email you are referring to so that I may take a look

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have an email somewhere, or if not the last one they sent me, not sure how I upload that to here though
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No sorry, I can't afford that
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

The pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatically generated by the site and you have already paid for a written response so that is the part I will continue helping you with. Are you able to copy and paste the email contents on to this chat?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (L1VPL2M)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Thanks. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. it is entirely possible for such terms to be enforceable and as you can appreciate there are many retailers who would have had to successfully rely on them over the past year and a half. I appreciate they are holding your money but that is not so relevant really as the key is whether they are still providing you with the services for which you paid them and the answer would be yes, even if it is delayed.

As this is not a time-critical service, a postponement will not have a critical effect on you, apart from minor inconvenience.

If you have the option to re-sell you may as well try that if you no longer want to attend. If they sell, great, but if they do not, you will still be able to do what you had originally paid for, even if with a delay and that is what the law would look at.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.