How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4503
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Our daughter who is 42 has been in a relationship for 13

Customer Question

Our daughter who is 42 has been in a relationship for 13 years. Her partners parents bought the house they live with an understanding the daughter has no rights to the house in the event of a relationship breakdown. The relationship has broke down & her partner is saying there is no proof they have been in a relationship. Our daughter is not interested in the house but wants paying back for some expensive items she had paid for. What rights has she got?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: No court action so far, they live in Lincolnshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The daughter has been paying rent to partner, although no record of this.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. You say 'relationship', so I deduce they were not married, is that correct? What expensive items did your daughter pay for? Are there any children?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Not married, No children involved. The items our daughter purchased was woodworking machine which cost £2000, Ride on lawnmower.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

If your daughter purchased the items as gifts, then they are gifts and she cannot ask for repayment for them. If she purchased them for both of them to use, then the ownership is hers and she is free to remove them when she moves.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you about my response?