Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Please I need help and I dont know what I make first step,i

Customer Question

Good afternoon please I need help and I dont know what I make first step,i am married and i want take a divorce ,i am not live with my husband 11 years or 12years and relatives is broken .can you help me please what I have to do and what i need?Thank you
JA: What steps have the relatives taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do the relatives live in?
Customer: I was spoke with a person from magistrate marriage and because I am.from Czech republic and I live in UK more 20 years and I have status they told me I have contact citizen advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Ok
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Do you have an address for your husband?

is there any property? if so in who's name mortgage/deeds?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello it's ok thank you for responding, he lives with his sister and yes I have his address and we dont have any property
Expert:  Stuart J replied 17 days ago.

Provided that at least one of the people wishing to get divorced lives in England, then getting divorced in England (& Wales) is infinitely a do-it-yourself job.  (I am not familiar with the system in Scotland)

Save yourself a whole load of money: the government website have a do-it-yourself guide

https://www.gov.uk/divorce

Although you can agree finances between you, it doesn’t draw a line under it unless you have a financial order

https://www.gov.uk/money-property-when-relationship-ends

And if have children under 18, and you cannot agree who they live with and who sees who and when, then you need a child arrangement order (which includes Specific Issue Orders:

To confirm that something can happen

and a Prohibited Steps Orders

To stop something happening

https://www.gov.uk/looking-after-children-divorce

In the United Kingdom, we do not have “irreconcilable differences”.  That is a thing in the United States for the time being at least.  The rules are changing here shortly to get rid of the following 5 grounds of divorce and to get rid of the fault issue but that has yet to be enacted.  To be honest, in my opinion, it’s going to make very little difference because the big arguments are over finance and children not the actual divorce itself.

It doesn’t matter who divorces who or why, the financial issues are exactly the same.  The court has not apportioned blame with regard to the division of marital finances for many years.

Grounds for getting divorced are:

1          The couple have lived part 2 years or more but less than 5 years and they both consent to the divorce.

2          The couple have lived apart for 5 years or more, regardless of whether they both consent or not.

3          Desertion.  Not common.

4          Adultery.  Very difficult to prove unless there is unequivocal evidence or an admission.

5          Unreasonable behaviour.  Most common and relatively easily to put together a petition on these grounds.  For example:

A spouse wants an unreasonable amount of sex/never once it.
Lack of personal hygiene/obsessive personal hygiene.

Obsessively tidy/extremely messy and untidy.

Gambles to excess/it’s tightfisted with money.

Never interacts with spouse or children/obsessive with children.

Violent or bullying or intimidating.

Excess alcohol.

Lots of grounds.

Please note that a legal separation is not the first step or precursor to a divorce.  It is virtually the same process but it doesn't dissolve the marriage.  However it draws a line under the relationship formally.  The difference between a legal separation and divorce is basically that you cannot get remarried again.  The reason you would have a legal separation, rather than a divorce is you can get divorced, for religious reasons for example.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have