INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

If I have taken a well known song and changed the lyrics to

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: If I have taken a well known song and changed the lyrics to make them different and unique, can I get these new lyrics copyrighted without being sued by the original songwriters
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no, I have only just written it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no, except that the original song was sung by Cliff Richard

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Is the melody/tune still the same?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it can be sung to the same tune

If it is sung to the same melody, you would require a licence to use the Melody although the words would be different.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if I just said the new lyrics, that would be OK, but not if I sung it, is that correct

Yes, that is correct. The new lyrics are your own.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,