How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2810
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Out side lights wiring was not waterproof. Front port on the

Customer Question

Out side lights wiring was not waterproof.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Front port on the wall
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Called the instaler And was was informed by them about wiringl but calked them sent message they hv not done any thing and not answering the call even.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we even offered to pay but he sent the guy twice but nothing has been done by them.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 9 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please can you confirm what you would like to know today as this will determine whether I can assist?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What action shud we take for them to come and fixxthe problem.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I hv sent a message again to the electrician to fix the problem.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Are they legally bound to fix the problem?
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 9 days ago.


Thanks for the further information.

Consumer Rights Act 2015. This is because under this law service provided must be done with reasonable care and skill. In view of this it appears the service provided to you was below par. Therefore, in view of the breach that has occurred you are entitled to a number of remedies under the law.

The remedies available are price reduction which can be up to the full amount paid and specific performance which is demanding the matter be repaired/replaced. Further you can get someone else to fix the issue and then seek to recover costs from the responsible party.

I suggest you obtain a quote and a report to fix the issue and also ask the person to review the works undertaken by the intial serviceman. Hopefully the report supports your position as this can be evidence to persuade the serviceman to return to fix the issue.

Assuming a resolution is not met I suggest you consider instructing a solicitor to assist you with regards ***** ***** action or alternatively you can consider filing a complaint with the trading standards.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.