How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13114
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

When I am taking off my name from mortgage should I consult

Customer Question

Hi, when I am taking off my name from mortgage should I consult it with my own solicitor or can I trust my ex partners ??
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: No I don't know, I am from UK, Leicestershire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not sure
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

1.  Your ex partner´s solicitors owes you no duty to remove your name from the mortgage, even if this is agreed as that solicitor´s only duty is to your ex, not you.  Accordingly, you should get your own solicitor to make sure your name comes off the mortgage, because commonly, it does not happen correctly.  So, get your own solicitor to make sure it happens as otherwise you might end up disappointed.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

2.  If you have any queries arising from the answer or if you want any additional information, I am happy to help further to assist you in the resolution of your difficulties.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Would you be able to advise me with Next steps what to do ??
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 days ago.

3.  You should appoint yourself a solicitor and get the solicitor to engage in correspondence with your ex´s solicitor about removing you from the mortgage.  Essentially, you want a deed of discharge from the mortgage company and you should liaise with your ex´s solicitor until you get this.