MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

If i buy a lease hold flat am i legally obliged to have an

Customer Question

If i buy a lease hold flat am i legally obliged to have an electrical check?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: lincolnshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you fro contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I am assisting you today. To clarify do you mean is the seller obliged to provide an electrical report?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no, i mean that, if i buy the flat it has a leasehold of 999 years, do i have to have my electricity checked and get a electricity safty certificate every 5 years, I know if a property is rented out an inspection is now required every 5 years is this the same if i buy this flat, im not renting but is a lease counted as the same thing
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

Thank you for the clarification, you are not required to carry out an inspection every 5 years this is only if the property is let out to a tenant.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
what about for the building insurance, will it be a requirement as i pay the building insurance to the leaseholder

You should request and check the terms of the policy but it is unlikely that an electrical certificate will be required every 5 years.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear I will be happy to assist you further.